Paul Smith looks to set up biggest year of his career
Paul Smith will fight in London this weekend and hopes victory helps set up the biggest year of his career.
The British super-middleweight champion has secured a slot on Matchroom’s show at the Excel Arena in the capital on Saturday night.
Smith had been hoping to defend his British crown and claim the one remaining win he needs to keep the belt outright.
But an opponent has not been found and so Smith expects to box over eight or 10 rounds, with an international contest a possibility.
Smith has terminated his promotional and management contracts with Frank Warren and says he is a free agent.
Warren insists the 31-year-old remains tied to him but Smith is ready to listen to offers from other promoters.
And what he hopes a new deal can bring is the British title outright and a world title eliminator.
Smith is number eight in the WBO rankings and believes a clash with number seven Dimitri Sartisan could be a possibility for the summer of 2014.
“Saturday will be a little eight or 10 rounder,” confirmed Smith. “It could be an international title fight.”
“I need to be active and fighting regularly. I haven’t fought since June and wanted to fight in September or October or November.”
“I want to win the British title outright and we are looking towards March for that. The plan is to get the belt outright and then look towards securing a world title eliminator in the summer.”
He added: “I am going with whoever offers me the best deal. I am a free agent and I am now self-managed.”
Smith has to attend a British Boxing Board of Control hearing in January to confirm that he has terminated his management contract with Warren legitimately.
Smith said: “This is my first time fighting at the Excel Arena.
“I’ve been to watch a few shows there and have boxed at every other venue in London. But I have never boxed at the Excel so I’m looking forward to that.”
An opponent for Smith will be confirmed later in the week.